CRICKET: Twenty20 World CupMUMBAI, India (CMC):Captain Darren Sammy says West Indies are still to put together the “complete game” despite beating Australia by three wickets in their final official warm-up of the Twenty20 World Cup on Sunday.The Windies chased down 162 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata, recovering from a perilous position of 27 for four in the eighth over to get home with a ball to spare.”So far we have not played a complete game. If the top bats well, we have not batted well at the end and if we start off well with the ball, we have not managed to finish well,” Sammy pointed out.”It’s about putting all the pieces together the powerplay, the middle overs and the death overs as well and each player being responsible for the section of the game which they are called upon to play.”The victory came on the back of a brilliant lower order effort led by Sammy, who blasted an unbeaten 50 off 28 balls. He put on a hasty 53 for the seventh wicket with Carlos Brathwaite, who belted 33 from 14 balls, to haul West Indies back into the game.Another all-rounder, Andre Russell, chipped in with a cameo 29 off 15 deliveries, as West Indies scored at over 10 an over the last nine overs of the game.Sammy said the Caribbean side was always confident in their ability to score quickly despite the loss of early wickets.”Those last four overs, with the power we have myself, Carlos and even Ashley (Nurse), we back ourselves to chase 10 to 15 runs an over so it was about staying calm and making sure I got the job done for the team and at the end, any win against Australia is always great,” Sammy said.He also praised the bowling unit for restricting Australia in the late stages of their innings, especially after opener Shane Watson’s 60 off 39 balls had got them away quickly.”They started off with a flyer, but as soon as the ball got a little older, it was more difficult to hit the ball,” Sammy noted.”That was a brilliant comeback from the bowlers and the way the second half of the order chased down that total was really good.”West Indies arrived here yesterday to begin final preparations for their opening group game against England at the Wankhede Stadium tomorrow.
Nominees for Chancellor, CJThe Opposition will be conducting background checks on the nominees for the positions of Chancellor of the Judiciary and Chief Justice, before it meets to consider these appointments again with President David Granger on February 7.A meeting held on Wednesday between the President, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo and their teams took place at State House at 10:00h.President David Granger greets Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo upon his arrival at State House on WednesdayThe Leader of the Opposition was accompanied by Opposition Chief Whip Gail Teixeira, and Attorney Priya Manickchand, while the President had Attorney General and Legal Affairs Minister Basil Williams, and Minister of State Joseph Harmon at his side.Following that meeting, it was agreed that both parties will meet again on February 7, to follow up on the proposed names for appointment of the Chancellor and Chief Justice.Minister Harmon informed that the Opposition requested more time to conduct their own due diligence regarding the two nominees. President Granger agreed to the suggestion.“He [the Opposition Leader] requested a month to do due diligence which the President graciously agreed to…and we expect to meet again on February 7, when we will have that matter finalised,” the Minister said according to the Department of Public Information.Meanwhile, Teixeira said while the meeting did not discuss much detail about the nominees and the possible appointments, she said the Opposition did make it clear that “we would do our due diligence on the candidates put forward,” noting that the invitation to meet was received during the holidays.Granger’s favoured candidate for the post of Chancellor is Guyana-born Belize Chief Justice, Kenneth Benjamin. And while Justice Yonnette Cummings-Edwards is the acting Chancellor, the President wants to appoint her as Chief Justice. That position is currently being held by Justice Roxane George.This meeting was held in keeping with Article 127 (1) of the Constitution which speaks to the appointment of the Chancellor and Chief Justice.It states that both the Chancellor and Chief Justice shall be appointed by the President, acting after obtaining the agreement of the Leader of the Opposition.The provision was a key aspect of the 2001 amendment to the instrument.The meeting was organised after President Granger announced at his first press conference in two years, that he has accepted a proposal from a committee that had been set up to review and interview applicants interested in the top judicial post after it advertised locally, regionally and internationally.Granger said he had already contacted the recommended individual who later accepted the nomination. Diligent work by the media revealed that the person the President favoured was Justice Kenneth Benjamin, who currently serves as the Chief Justice of Belize.Jagdeo has already warned that even though the President has to make the first move to resolve the decade-long failure to appoint a substantive Chancellor and Chief Justice, he would not allow himself to be coerced into accepting nominees just to fix the situation.Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) President, Sir Dennis Byron, speaking at a Guyana Bar Association event, had severely criticised the non-appointment of a substantive Chief Justice and Chancellor.
0Shares0000Crystal Palace sacked manager Frank de Boer after a dismal start to the Premier League season in which they have lost all four of their matches without scoring a single goal © AFP/File / Paul ELLISLONDON, United Kingdom, Sep 11 – Crystal Palace on Monday sacked manager Frank de Boer after a dismal start to the Premier League season that has seen them lose all four of their matches without scoring a single goal.“Crystal Palace Football Club have this morning parted company with Frank de Boer,” said a statement on the club’s website. “We would like to thank Frank for his dedication and hard work during his time at the club.“A new manager will be appointed in due course and we wish Frank the very best of luck for the future.”The south London club have been strongly linked with a move to appoint former England boss Roy Hodgson to replace the departing Dutch manager.Palace chairman Steve Parish on Sunday took to Twitter to rally fans around the team, without giving unequivocal backing to the former Ajax and Inter Milan boss.In an exchange with supporters on social media following Sunday’s 1-0 defeat at Burnley, Parish wrote: “People are frustrated, I’m frustrated, so are the management and players. We know we are better than this…”Parish also wrote: “We are 4 games in, it’s a terrible start but we have to stick together.”Palace have so far conceded seven goals with defeats to Huddersfield, Liverpool, Swansea and Burnley.De Boer said after the match at Turf Moor: “I am just focusing on what I can control and so are my staff and my players. (The future) is for other people to decide but while I’m the manager of Crystal Palace I will give 100 percent.”The Eagles are the first team to lose their first four top-flight matches without scoring a goal since Preston in the 1924-25 season.De Boer took the helm at Selhurst Park forward following Sam Allardyce’s unexpected departure at the end of last season.The Dutchman lasted just 85 days as coach of Italian club Inter despite his positive track record with Ajax.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
0Shares0000Argentina’s Juan Martin del Potro defeated hard-serving South African Kevin Anderson 6-4, 6-4 during their ATP Mexican Open title match © AFP / PEDRO PARDOACAPULCO, Mexico, Mar 4 – Juan Martin Del Potro continued his dominance over Kevin Anderson, putting the brakes on the South African’s brilliant run of success to claim the ATP Mexican Open title on Saturday night.Del Potro defeated the hard-serving Anderson 6-4, 6-4 in the final to claim his first title of 2018 and post his seventh-straight career victory over Anderson. The 29-year-old Del Potro recorded his 21st career ATP title but this is one of his biggest in years and the earliest he has hoisted a trophy since the 2014 season.The Argentine won the title by battling through a tough draw that included a trio of top 10 players.He defeated Mischa Zverev, four-time Acapulco champion David Ferrer, No. 6 Dominic Thiem and No. 5 Alexander Zverev before dispatching world number eight Anderson.Del Potro has owned Anderson on the hardcourts ever since their first meeting in 2011 in Delray Beach, Florida that he also won 6-4, 6-4. Since then, they have squared off in Vienna, Valencia, Basel, Washington and Delray again with all the matches taking place on the hard surface.Del Potro served masterfully on Saturday, blasting 12 aces and winning 78 percent of his first serve and 64 percent of his second serve points in the one hour, 40 minute match.Del Potro managed to hold serve throughout the match and broke Anderson twice.Anderson, of Johannesburg, had his eight-match winning streak snapped and was coming off a title at the New York Open.On the women’s side, Lesia Tsurenko successfully defended her WTA Mexican Open title by rallying from a first set loss to beat Stefanie Voegele 5-7, 7-6 (7/2), 6-2.Tsurenko, of the Ukraine, earned her 10th straight victory this week and claimed her fourth career WTA Tour title by outlasting Voegele in the two hour, 45 minute match.The seventh seeded Tsurenko hit two aces and won 64 percent of her first-serve points coughing up 10 double faults as she was broken six times.At one stage she was just three points away from defeat in the second set, but she hung on and has now won at least one title each year since claiming her first in 2015 at the Guangzhou, China tournament.The unseeded Voegele, who was playing in her first final, blasted four aces and had her serve broken seven times.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
1 Nottingham Forest star Henri Lansbury Burnley are set to make a bid for Nottingham Forest star Henri Lansbury.Turf Moor boss Sean Dyche is looking to bolster his squad ahead of their return to the Premier League and has identified former Arsenal youngster Lansbury as a potential target.The 23-year-old was a key part of the Forest side last season but missed the last three months of the season after suffering a fracture to his lower back.But he has now returned to fitness and Forest face a fight to keep hold of Lansbury with Burnley prepared to make a bid for the midfielder.They face competition from Wigan, though, with Uwe Rosler thought to be extremely keen on signing Lansbury for his own side’s promotion push.But Burnley hope their Premier League status will prove decisive, with Forest boss Stuart Pearce facing an uphill battle to keep hold of the talented playmaker.
Norberto Neto Fiorentina goalkeeper Norberto Neto will decide his future next week – amid growing interest from Juventus and Liverpool.The Brazilian’s contract expires at the end of the season and he has no plans to pen an extension.That has sparked interest from several clubs in the 25-year-old, with both Juventus and Liverpool sounding out his representatives.Neto now has a decision to make and the goalkeeper says he hopes that his future will be sorted by next week.“I hope my situation will be resolved in the course of the week, or at most, the next one,” Neto told Lancenet.“It will be my agent who will decide, I’ve left everything in his hands.” 1
Robert Lewandowski is Europe’s most feared striker, having scored 15 goals in just six games for club and country.While the Pole’s goalscoring exploits have been making the headlines, there are plenty of amazing facts about Lewandowski’s life that many people have yet to discover.Watch the video above to discover which English team he was on the verge of signing for in 2010, and why a former coach likened him to a tree!For more of the best sports entertainment on YouTube, subscribe to talkSPORT here!Find out how Lewandowski compares to Messi and Ronaldo in the 2015 scoring charts here!
One of Donegal’s best known actors and directors has died.The late Tomas Mac Giolla Bhride died today. Pic by Eoin McGarvey.Tomas Mac Giolla Bhride passed away this morning.The 90 year old was renowned in West Donegal and was a director of Aisteoiri Ghaoth Dobhair. He worked on numerous dramas, pantomimes and plays as well as having many roles in Tg4 comedies such as Gleann Ceo.In 2005 he was awarded an honorary degree from NUI Galway for his work with the arts and language.He was also one of the founders of the Ghaoth Dobhair Industrial estate.He is survived by his wife and eight children. ONE OF DONEGAL’S BEST-KNOWN ACTORS DIES was last modified: December 9th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ACTORGOATH DOBHAIRTOMAS MAC GIOLLA BHRIDE
If you go down to the woods today, you’re in for a big surprise, is the old children’s rhyme, and what a surprise the children, parents and guardians got in Portnoo on Bank Holiday Monday, when Minnie & Mickey Mouse emerged from Bonnyglen Wood.They couldn’t believe their eyes when the famous Disney characters skipped out hand in hand and joined them for part of the walk. Approximately one hundred hardy souls had previously set from the Dolmen Centre on a 5k fundraiser for Breast Cancer research, organised by the local Sharpe family from Loughfad.The event, now in its’ third year is well established as a “must go” annual event for the local community.Minnie & Mickey joined the walk, from the wood to “Mamie’s” thatched cottage, the home the Sharpe family, where they posed for photos.The walk then continued back to the Dolmen Centre where the organisers provided an array of ‘pink’ food treats for all the participants. The Irish Cancer Society representative, Ena Barrett, outlined to the all present the importance of events such as the pink parade in the fight against cancer.She thanked all involved for a wonderful event and looked forward to next year’s parade.Pauline (Sharpe) McGroary told Donegal Daily, “We wanted a surprise for the children, and a friend of friend knew Minnie & Mickey and they kindly obliged.“Only two people knew about it, I didn’t even tell my mother!”PICTURE SPECIAL: MINNIE & MICKEY MOUSE APPEAR FOR PORTNOO PINK WALK FOR CANCER was last modified: October 29th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:5kcancercharityFeaturesfundraisernewspicture specialPink WalkPortnoo
Details are being released of the scale of the 44th Running of the Donegal International Rally, which takes place from June 20th – 22nd next.It appears competitors are in for an epic weekend of motorsport on Donegal’s famous rally stages.Clerk of the Course Eamon McGee commented: “With a competitive distance of almost 302 Kms, with some stages being revised for 2014, there will be a sense of adventure and we might even see the return of some tactical driving. Mind you, going on past experience, the chances of that are slim! “I can report that the regulations are done, just awaiting a return from Motorsport Ireland and should be available in the next few weeks. The event website is currently been updated with accommodation and information that everyone needs for the event, so keep an eye on it over the next few weeks.“As ever, we are looking forward to a safe weekend for our competitors and also for all the visitors to the County. This year in particular we are asking rally supporters attending the Donegal International Rally to join with Donegal Motor Club’s campaign, in conjunction with the Road Safety Authority, to “Keep the Race in its Place”.“The Rally will start from An Grianan Theatre on Friday morning 20th June, with the cars on view at Parc Ferme each evening in the new Parc Ferme location at the end of the Port Road adjacent to the Donegal Motor Club office. It will finish at its ‘ancestral home’ at Rally HQ, the Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny, on Sunday evening. I wish to thank all of these flagship Letterkenny institutions for their continuing support.“More information will follow shortly. I can assure both competitors and the 60,000 spectators expected to attend, that we are working hard to ensure the Donegal International Rally 2014 echoes the sense of adventure and fun started by the first rally back in 1971.” Coinciding with this announcement, John McCay, Press Officer for the 2014 Donegal International Rally says the rally Regulations and Entry Forms are now available from the website address, www.donegalrally.ie.John said that the many competitors and visitors will be patiently waiting for the Regulations.All this information may be fund on www.donegalrally.ie , on Twitter @Donegalrally_ie or Facebook.com/donegalrally.ie. BACK TO THE FUTURE AS DETAILS OF FUN DONEGAL INTERNATIONAL RALLY ARE RELEASED was last modified: April 30th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)